Suriname is a country located in South America. It is bordered by Brazil to the south, Guyana to the west, and French Guiana to the east. The country has a population of about 600,000 people, and its official language is Dutch. Suriname is a parliamentary democracy and a member of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The country has a diverse economy, with significant contributions from the agricultural, mining, and service sectors. Some of the major crops grown in Suriname include rice, bananas, and sugarcane. Suriname is also known for its rich biodiversity, with many protected areas and national parks.
WeatherSuriname has a tropical climate, with high temperatures and high humidity throughout the year. The average temperature in Suriname is around 27°C (80°F), but it can reach as high as 35°C (95°F) in some parts of the country. Suriname experiences a rainy season from April to August, during which time the country can be quite wet. However, the country is also subject to occasional typhoons and other severe weather, particularly during the rainy season. Overall, Suriname's weather is warm and tropical, with plenty of sunshine and occasional rain.
Things to do
- As a relatively small and little-known country, Suriname does not have as many well-known tourist destinations as some other countries. However, some popular places to visit in Suriname include:
- Paramaribo: The capital city of Suriname, known for its Dutch colonial architecture and its vibrant marketplaces.
- Central Suriname Nature Reserve: A protected area in the heart of the country, home to a diverse range of plant and animal species.
- Jodensavanne: An archaeological site and former Jewish settlement, located in the country's interior.
- Saint Peter and Paul Cathedral: A historic Dutch colonial building in the capital city of Paramaribo.
- Galibi Nature Reserve: A protected area on the country's northern coast, known for its population of leatherback turtles.
- Brownsberg Nature Park: A protected area in the southern part of the country, known for its beautiful waterfalls and hiking trails.
- Fort Zeelandia: A historic fort in the capital city of Paramaribo, built by the Dutch in the 17th century.
- Palmentuin: A historic park in the capital city of Paramaribo, known for its beautiful gardens and fountains.
- Neuswijk: A small town in the interior of the country, known for its beautiful waterfalls and natural pools.
- Brokopondo Reservoir: A large artificial lake in the eastern part of the country, known for its recreational activities and natural beauty.